Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Comeback Kid

As my rickshaw was perilously close to being crushed between a monstrous looking truck and an overcrowded bus in the maddening Bombay traffic near the airport, I promised the Big Man Up there that I would do many things, but needed to live with 32 intact to do 'em. It included getting in touch with long-lost friends, cleaning my clothes shelf, being more regular in my calls to my grandparents, losing weight(always!), giving up chocolates, not arguing with my partner...and reviving my fledgling of a frozen blog.

The thawing and de-freezing attempt is this post. (yeah, 'the crushing embrace' was that close!) In an attempt to leave a memory for posterity (if the world is not destroyed and blog sites do not become dusty libraries) herez my list of favourites ever & dislikes ever(relatively in my 27 wonderful years of existence).

Lets start with the usual.

Books I swear by
JLS, The Godfather, Love Story, The Kite Runner, Gone With The Wind, Bridges of Madison County, The Alchemist

Movies I'd've loved to be in
The Godfather, Silsila, Lost in Translation, Brokeback Mountain, Sound of Music, Crash, Roman Holiday, Casablanca, A Streetcar Named Desire, Mouna Ragam, Bombay(the tam version)

Places I HAVE to see
Srilanka, Greece, The Great Wall of China, Egypt, Jerusalem, Alaska, Leh-Ladakh, Kashmir, Disneyland, Scotland, Germany, Turkey, My dream home

Food I can't do without
Coffee, Chocolate(!), Italian food, VennPongal, Vella cheedai, Kozhakattai, Bhelpuri, Sauvignon Blanc, Mint Tea

Fave Songs Ever(for their associated memories, the music, the lyrics)
Uyire Uyire(Bombay), En Mel Vizhuntha Mazhaithuliye(May Maadam), Dil Se Re(Dil Se), Edelweiss(Sound of Music), Sweet Child O'Mine(Guns 'n Roses), Time(Pink Floyd), Losing My Religion(R.E.M), Come Undone(Duran Duran), Like a Prayer(Madonna), Top of the World(Carpenters)

Best Features in a person (what I dig, baby!)
Sense of humour, Dignity, Crisis management, Ability to laugh at himself...easily, Honesty, A ready smile, Dimples (that had to creep in there!) Of course being Successful and Famous and Rich help, but not much!

Pet Peeves
  • Spitting on the road...often
  • Rudeness
  • Raised voice
  • Violence, abuse of any kind
  • Letting parents/grandparents fend for themselves.
  • Pettiness
  • Money-mindedness
  • Eyeing other women openly
  • Kids crying (it breaks my heart)

I enjoy..

Being woken up with a smile, Smell of the first rains (petrichor?), Breezy walk by the beach, Romantic candlelit dinners, Surprise gifts, Sound of a deep-throated chuckle, Good Coffee, A movie/play/musical concert/speech that moves me, Stand-up comedies, Good simple food (Preferably my mom's!)

"Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things"

2 comments:

  1. Hey, i totally agree with you about crap mumbai traffic :)

    and you are soon going to get smell of the first rains and bel me after that smell of rain doesn't end for months :))

    ReplyDelete