Thursday, April 11, 2013

Jai Jawaan!

"What is the Finance Minister thinking, increasing defence personnel budgets? They do not do anything anyway?" 

"What? The Army? Its a wretched life, going from place to place. You study Engineering. Be a good boy."

"Why do you want to join the Armed Forces? To serve this corrupt country? You could do better."

Arguments I've heard time and again. 


Let me tell you a true story first. 

In a train a conversation ensued between a 8 year old precocious girl, her grandmother and a turbaned, really fit Sardar uncle. 

Girl: "Paati, why should the army go to great lengths to protect Kashmir? Always there is fighting there. Why do soldiers want to die? We should just give the other country the state and live with the rest of the country."

Grandmother: "No ma, the fighting is to protect it. It is our state. Why should we give it away? Our freedom fighters worked so hard to make it part of India."

Girl: "I think we should just do that. The Army is being silly trying to protect it."

Sardar uncle jumps up and snatches the girl's book and biscuit. The girl looks surprised, then starts crying. Grandma steps in and asks firmly, but menacingly, "Why did you do it? Its hers! Don't be rude, please return it now."

Sardar (returning the books) "See the anger you felt when your things were taken away, merely a biscuit and book. How would you feel your home was taken away? That is how Kashmiris feel. And the soldiers are like your grandma. Fighting for you was not her dharma, but she made it her karma. She stepped in and fought for you and so justice was done. She may have feared me, a hatta-katta burly man, but she still did what she had to do. Like a soldier."

That girl was me. In 1988. That uncle was a Lt. General in the Army, returning from an awards ceremony in OTA, Chennai to New Delhi. The Grandma, well RIP, she was heading to visit her daughter and was putting up with a never-ending stream of questions from me! 


I learnt a great lesson that day. A pride in our armed forces. I have always been fascinated by their clothes, their weapons and their special camaraderie (and these are not officers alone, jawans too). Years later, I'd notice their proud straight posture, ever-polite demeanor, fierce pride in their country and most of all, a liberal attitude having traveled around the country. 

When I traveled to Israel, I noticed how young (compulsory) military recruits were taken around the country, shown various Jewish historical spots and were initiated into a nationalistic fervor/pride mentality.  Even if half these kids continued to stay on, Israel would have a great defence force. 

In India, I notice slowly that pride in the Armed Forces is slowly dying. People do not want to join the Forces anymore. Arguments like the ones listed on top are true. My dear friend make it through the entrance exams and was emotionally blackmailed into an Engg degree. His eyes still light up when you talk of the new Rafaelle deal! 

Everybody wants a cushy sedentary job. Why? What can we do to instill pride in being a 'fauji' again? Why can't the Armed Forces be as envied as a role in a private Bank? Even a commercial Pilot possibly ranks higher as a career choice than flying a Defence bomber! Why? Is it merely a communication drive that is lacking? Are people frightened of the malaise in the system? Is it the pay? How can we fix it?

For sure, I will educate my kids of that option early on, so they make an educated choice. Will you? 

I propose a simple solution. Let there be compulsory 'National' service. All 12th graduates compulsorily do a 2 year stint. If you are fit and/or willing, the Armed Forces, need not be combat zone, could be in CRPF or OTA. If you are not fit, then Traffic Police or Judicial System... work towards the country in one way or the other. What do you think? 



This is my "J" post for the A-Z challenge. 

19 comments:

  1. That incident in the train is such a powerful way to explain the need of army and protecting our land! Agree, army is not a career of choice for kids now-a-days... could be the tough and tiring physical training initially, the stress of staying away from family, the dangers if you are a front line soldier... and many more reasons...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember asking the same question when I was very young! :) Jai Jawan! What a great choice for J, Meera! I've recommended you today in my own post! Happy Ugadi to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vidya! Its an honor I cherish :)

      Delete
  3. what a wonderful way the General explained to you :) Spontaneous and so aptly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. True ! One shud serve in one way or other but when every one is comfortable with IT and comfy cozy zones its tough to start revolution and wake them from slumber but for sure we can instill the thoughts among kids !!
    U need a courage and condition less patriotism ofcourse to be a soldier

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful story of you as a little girl! Thanks for sharing, Meera!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a way to explain the importance of the Army ! I have travelled through ladakh and realized how much the army is doing for the people. They serve us both in time of war and peace !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your story - and the General's actions were so effective. You've left us with a lot of things to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Awesome post' - for the lack of a better word. Loved the title. And OT, but I miss your previous cover. It had something utterly nostalgic about it.
    Cheers, L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laxmi! The previous cover was me peeking out of the toy train to Shimla way way back in 1997! Maybe I should reinstate it :)

      Delete
  9. I really liked the army man's explanation to you. Jai Jawan truly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting post! More interesting is the story u narrated... would hv left a indelible mark

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was an example which the Lt General imprinted in your memory for always. I have heard many such arguments that you have listed. People tell me all the time about the supposed 'luxurious' and relaxed life we have, the cooks and malis we are supposed to have at our beck and call. I wonder if people have any inkling of the hard life the defence personnel have, the self reliance their families are forced to learn early on, and the separation which is part of their life.
    .

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great story with a lesson. I love the armed forces, I am a Navy brat, daughter-in-law and a naval officers wife :) Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great example. Thanks for sharing your story. The feeling of contributing to our country is unmatched. But not everyone is cut out for it - mentally too. Separation, the constant travels, long-distance relationships..easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jai Jawan! wonderful story...I know that the passion for this is slowly dying. Your idea is welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the tales you tell Meera ...I see a little something in me has changed and I find myself nodding in approval at the simple wisdoms told so lovingly :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely thought and wonderful expression!

    Akhil Kalsh.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic choice for J, Meera. Being the daughter of an Army officer, I always makes me proud when they get the respect they deserve! ♥

    ReplyDelete