Thursday, April 25, 2013

VIBGYOR: Color me happy!

I wanted to do a real post with opinions or thoughts, but for some reason the acronym VIBGYOR kept coming to me. So I woke up this morning, actually unscheduled my earlier post on "Vulnerability" and began writing on VIBGYOR. Now being mommy to a really young infant (with night wake ups et al), I do remember thinking VIBGYOR, but can't recollect a word of the (hopefully interesting) post that I composed in my head. With colors, what better than "V"isuals? So here goes a photo post again :) 

VIOLET: I've loved the gorgeousness of this color always. This pic was taken when I was in Class VI, in a dress that I fought with my mom to buy. To put it mildly, it blinds ones eyes. Thank God it didn't have bling too! 

But I remember how my mom told me when I bought it "Kannamma, this dress is your choice. You REALLY wanted it. Now wear it with pride, confidence and the love it deserves. You'll look beautiful in it. And if someone says the dress is not nice, just smile at them and bounce even more, the dress does look great!"


INDIGO: Indigo is an interesting color. Halfway between violet and blue, it is often the misunderstood, misrepresented middle child :) Now Indigo always brings to my mind the story of 'The Blue Jackal'. And the airline of course. But I had never seen the color ever manifesting in the sky or sea.... I used to wonder whether it really existed or it was just a scientific term for a color that had different wavelength. 

My doubts were put to rest by the mighty Pangong Tso at Ladakh. I highly recommend a visit for words defy the range of colors that you witness there. You can read my earlier account of the lake here



BLUE: Blue brings to mind all kinds of things - from blue skies to blue seas to blueberries to kingfishers, but the blue that I always think of is the bright striking blue on superman's dress :) Yes, you read that right. The first TV in my house was purchased in 1988, when I was already 8 years old. I remember one of the first cartoons I watched was an animated 'Superman' who saved everyone and everything, including cats and violins. The blue on his dress always represented adventure and courage to me! 

Why will Mini-me like anything else? 


GREEN:  The first thought on waking up in Scotland was that it was just SO GREEN.  Meadows stretching to as far as the eye could see, in a lovely medley of multiple greens. The little white dandelions doing their merry jig. The gentle roll of the hills. The weak blue skies that threatened to mist over and cry. Just picture perfect. Beautiful. 


YELLOW: Yellow, yellow, dirty fellow! Remember the ditty? I LOVE the color. It is the most gorgeous color in the spectrum. Happy, smiling, sunshiney! Yellow be the bright flowers on the roadside everywhere. The 'sarson ka khet' song ('Tujhe Dekha to') in DDLJ, where Kajol comes running to meet SRK? I was focusing on the field, not the couple :) Apparently the reason we love yellow is that it is the nearest color to skin tone (not pink, as that Fair and Lovely ad repeatedly drones on). 

ORANGE:  Orange apart from being a fruit and associated with Mirindaah!, always reminds me of the Bryce Canyon hoodoos. I already did a post on the Grand Canyon, so I am not going there again. Did you know that there is no English word that rhymes with Orange? (trivia for you!) 



RED: Red as the rose, red as blood, red as the sun, but red is autumn! The 'fall' colors of autumn is a sight to behold. I used to wonder as a child how the impressionist artists always thought of painting leaves red, simply because in South India, there is no 'fall'. And then one beautiful September in MA, it all fell into place. Entire mountainsides awash in oranges, burnt sienna, bright vermilion, carmine red... just beautiful. Red is my favorite color in the VIBGYOR spectrum. To me it represents the simplicity of childhood, the boldness of spirit and the beauty of independence. 



Here's wishing you 'saat rang ke sapne' in your lives :)

13 comments:

  1. Sigh everyone has been to Ladakh except me :'(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a beautiful post on the seven colours of the rainbow. Loved what your mom said about the dress - wear it with pride and don't care what anyone says. I always tend to be very subconscious and worried about what others might think of me. Learning for me here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your colourful post. But most of all I loved your header pic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A splash of rainbow colored memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting post.. I can call this "Vibrant"

    PhenoMenon
    http://capturedalive.wordpress.com/2013/04/25/vishu-a-new-year-atozchallenge/

    ReplyDelete
  6. A V unique post! Like like

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful descriptions & pics for each color.

    And you definitely looked vibrant in that purple dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet post, as a matter of fact, I saw a rainbow just yesterday and loved all its colours :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful post Meera
    Loved the way u loved the colors
    Fab pictures to compliment what ever u wrote

    ReplyDelete
  10. coulurful post; loved the violet and red parts of it a lot !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Red is my favorite. I also wanted to do a post with VIBGYOR. Yours is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow!! Nice writeup, associating each color with your experiences! Also, I'm loving the header!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a creative post. My favorite colors from your post are violet and blue! :)

    ReplyDelete